There are many different reasons why women seek breast augmentation surgery. Increasing your natural cup size is one reason for breast augmentation that many people are familiar with, but the surgery can also help reduce sagging that naturally occurs due to aging or childbirth, improve the shape or position of your breasts, or reconstruct one or both of your breasts after a mastectomy.
Several types of breast implants are available to achieve different end results. A highly qualified cosmetic surgeon such as Dr. Patrick Obasi in Plano, TX can consult with you about your goals and help form the best breast augmentation plan for your specific needs.
Materials used in implants
Implants are typically made from either saline or silicone.
- Saline implants are made of a natural sterile salt water solution and have a silicone shell. They can either be filled during the implant operation or pre-filled. They are a good option for smaller implants and the risks to your health if they leak are diminished since they are made of a solution that is naturally already in your body.
- Silicone implants feel natural and soft. They are made from silicone shells that contain a silicone gel. These are typically a better option for larger implants and tend to feel more natural than saline implants.
In addition to these materials, Dr. Obasi can also sometimes harvest fat from other areas of your body to enhance your breast size or change its shape. The best way to determine which implant material is the right choice for you is to schedule a consultation.
Implant shapes and textures
Different shapes and textures are available for implants to help you achieve your cosmetic goals.
- Gummy bear implants are a newer technology that prevents deflation if the silicone shell of your implant ruptures for any reason. They are shaped like teardrops and retain their shape better than other silicone or saline implants.
- Round implants are the more traditional shape of saline and silicone implants. A benefit of round implants is that if they turn or rotate at any point, it will not be noticeable.
- Smooth implants are the most commonly selected texture for breast implants. They move more naturally and have a supple feeling and have less of a chance of rippling around the edges.
- Textured implants are firmer and have a thicker shell. They are designed to adhere to your body’s natural tissues so that they don’t move around in your breast as much.
What to expect in a breast augmentation procedure
After creating a customized plan for your individual goals and body, your augmentation surgery will be scheduled. You may be asked to not take certain medicines before the surgery to prevent the chances of excess bleeding.
The operating room is located right within the Noble Cosmetic Surgery office so that you are familiar with the location and comfortable with your surroundings. To insert the implants, Dr. Obasi will determine the best location to create the incision where it will not easily be detected. He will use a device called a Keller Funnel to place the implants in your breasts, which helps prevent infections and enables the doctor to create small incisions, versus larger incisions that will leave more noticeable scars. The surgery typically takes about one to two hours.
When your surgery is complete, gauze or a specialized bra will be used to support your breasts during the healing process. If needed, a prescription for pain management or to prevent infection will be provided. The team at Noble Cosmetic Surgery offers around-the-clock access to a surgeon after your procedure is complete, and complementary follow-up appointments are offered.
Breast augmentation at Noble Cosmetic Surgery
Dr. Patrick Obasi is triple board certified, has been recognized as one of “America’s Top Surgeons,” and was selected as one of the 2018 Ten Best Plastic Surgeons in Texas by the American Institute of Plastic Surgeons. Dr. Obasi works with each patient to create a customized treatment plan based on the patient’s desired results and unique body. In addition to answering all your questions and concerns, Dr. Obasi will be up-front with you about the cost of your treatment and has financing options available.
The Noble Cosmetic Surgery office is equipped with the latest technologies and is conveniently located in an easily accessible location in Plano, TX. Patient comfort and privacy are of the utmost importance to the team at Noble Cosmetic Surgery, and you will find the facility beautiful and modern. Call 214 - 617-1672 to schedule your consultation today!