Win the battle of the bulge with a tummy tuck in Plano
Weight gain or pregnancy can cause a protruding abdomen. Even after you shed pounds, a bulge may remain, as underlying support tissues have stretched. Abdominoplasty, commonly known as tummy tuck surgery, helps Plano, Frisco, and Dallas area patients regain a trim, toned midsection.
Tummy tuck basics
While you can expect to lose several pounds and inches around the waist, tummy tuck surgery is not a weight loss program. It is intended to:
- Reduce the amount of stubborn fat deposits in the midsection.
- Remove sagging excess skin.
- Restore and tighten abdominal muscles that are weakened or separated.
- Create a smoother, firmer abdominal profile.
An individualized approach
Tummy tuck is performed as an outpatient procedure, surgeries are done at the Surgery Center of Plano and other accredited hospitals where Dr. Obasi holds privileges. During consultation, Dr. Obasi takes as much time as necessary to understand your concerns and evaluate your physiology. Together, you determine the best treatment plan to meet your goals.
Your comfort and wellbeing is top priority. Dr. Obasi explains the potential advantages of intravenous sedation and general anesthesia.
The location, length, and shape of your incision is determined by the amount of excess skin:
- Usually a horizontal incision between the navel and pubic line is sufficient.
- In some cases, a second incision around the belly button is necessary for removal of skin from the upper abdomen.
- The fleur de lis procedure, involves anchor shaped incisions down the center of the abdomen and side to side across the hips. It is appropriate for correction after massive weight loss.
- The Avelar tummy tuck, which includes liposuction, is a less invasive option. This technique avoids separating fat and skin from underlying fascia (connective tissue).
- A mini tummy tuck involves a shorter incision just above the public line.
- Reverse tummy tuck addresses fat and lax skin on the upper abdomen – above the navel.
To learn more about tummy tuck surgery, call our Plano office at (214) 974-4411.